Shadows of the Past - Image © FreeFoto.com
by GSDana

Originally published at Zap's Trixie FanFic Site September 11, 2000.

Divider

Epilogue:  Happily Ever After

Saturday, the nineteenth of May, dawned brilliantly.  Trixie awoke and smiled when she realized what day this was and rolled over to look at the other twin bed in her room, where Honey still slept.

“Good morning, Sleepyhead,” Trixie called softly.  Honey’s eyes fluttered awake and she, too, smiled upon remembering the importance of this day.

“Good morning,” Honey returned.

“Are brides supposed to lounge the morning of their wedding, or do they get up and start bustling around?”  Trixie asked.

Honey thought for a moment.  “I think I’m going to be the kind of bride that lounges for a little bit.  What about you?”

Trixie grinned.  “I think I will be too.”

For their last night as bachelorettes, Trixie and Honey had decided to have one last sleepover at Crabapple Farm.  Honey, who had been living at Manor House, would be spending that night, her first night as a married woman, in Brian’s apartment in the city.  They were still in the process of looking at houses in White Plains, near the Belden-Wheeler Detective Agency, which had opened its doors three months before.  Trixie, who had been living at Crabapple Farm for the last year, would spend her first night as a married woman in the lovely cottage at Ten Acres that Jim had finally confessed to building with her in mind.

“Can you believe we’re getting married today?”  Trixie asked her dearest friend and soon-to-be double sister-in-law.

“It’s been a long time coming, Trix,” Honey said softly.  “Are you ready for today?”

Trixie thought for a moment.  “I’m definitely ready for today.  I can’t wait to stand up there at that altar next to Jim and vow to spend the rest of my life with him in front of all of my family and friends.  That you and Brian will be standing next to me doing the same thing makes it doubly special.  Or should I say, perfectly perfect?”  She grinned at Honey.

Honey eyed her friend.  “But you’re nervous about after, aren’t you?”

Trixie drew in a deep breath.  “Yeah, a little.  It’s been so many years overdue that I think I’ve blown it way out of proportion in my head!”

“Don’t worry.  I think it’s great that you waited for Jim.  And so does he.”

“But he’s experienced and I’m not—what if I make a mistake?”

Honey giggled.  “Trix, you won’t make a mistake.  Jim will be loving and tender and guide you through it.  Trust me when I say that you’ll enjoy yourself.”

Trixie was about to make a wicked comment, when the door opened.  Moms walked in carrying a breakfast tray, followed by Bobby with an identical tray.

“Good morning, my two lovely brides!  I thought you would both enjoy breakfast in bed before the day starts to get hectic.”  She set the tray she was carrying down on Honey’s lap.  “For my new daughter,” she said with tenderness and tears in her eyes.  Honey and Trixie’s eyes also immediately welled with tears. 

Bobby saw the reactions of the females and groaned.  “Oh, brother, quit being so mushy!”

Mr. Belden came in amid the laughter.  “What’s all the merriment going on in here?  You’d think there was a wedding going to happen today or something!”

Trixie, filled with happiness, laughed.  “Oh, Daddy!”

Later that day, Trixie and Honey, dressing in Honey’s bedroom at Manor House with the help of Miss Trask, Madeleine Wheeler, Helen Belden, and Ella Kline, stood looking out over the Manor House garden, where guests were already beginning to be seated.  Trixie laughed at the site of Kathy and Julie Lynch trailing after Bobby, obviously caught in the throes of a first crush.  She saw Mart and Dan escorting guests to their seats, both looking handsome in their tuxes.  The sun shone off of Mr. Wheeler’s bright red hair as he stood talking to Mr. Belden.

Just then Di’s voice rang out.  “You’d better step away from that window, ladies, if you catch a glimpse of Jim or Brian, it’s bad luck!”

Trixie and Honey turned to see their shared maid of honor entering the room with Hallie.  Both looked gorgeous in their matching bridesmaids’ dresses.  Although Di usually favored lilac and Hallie favored red, the brilliant blue satin of their dresses looked wonderful next to their black hair.

“Wow!  You guys look great!”  Honey exclaimed.

“Us?”  Hallie hooted.  “What about you?  I have never seen two more beautiful brides."

Trixie blushed, feeling like Cinderella.  She had to admit, Moms’ simple ivory silk shantung dress, with the sweetheart neckline, simple pearl-esque beading, and long flowing skirt did make her feel like a fairy princess.  Trixie thought back to her tomboy days and knew she had never dreamed of feeling like this.

Honey’s dress was more elaborate, but Trixie didn’t think it was anymore beautiful than Moms’ fairy tale dress.  Honey’s dress was of pure white silk with a lace overlay.  She wore layers of crinoline underneath the skirt and kept turning to check that she wasn’t dirtying her five-foot long train.  Her neckline was cut in a deep V that displayed the centuries old Hart diamond necklace glittering brilliantly around her throat.  Her “something old.”

The four girls chattered happily as Miss Trask made a few last adjustments and pronounced the girls ready.  She looked at her watch.  “And just in time, too!  Girls, we must be going.  Diana, help me with Honey’s train.  Trixie, can you manage the steps on your own?”

“I can, Miss Trask, thanks.”

Mrs. Wheeler looked at her daughter with pride.  “Oh, Honey, the Hart family necklace looks wonderful on you.  You look beautiful, my dear,” her normally smooth voice was choked with emotion as she gave her daughter a hug.

“Thank you, Mother,” Honey replied, returning the hug.

Mrs. Wheeler released her daughter and turned to give Trixie a hug.  “My other daughter, how beautiful you look.”

Trixie blinked back tears.  “Thank you so much.”

Then it was Mrs. Belden’s turn to hug both girls and then they were on their way through the house and down to the gardens.

The two brides stood behind a large flowering bush and peered around it at the guests assembled in the Manor House gardens.  The pastor stood at the altar that Regan had painstakingly built, with Jim and Brian standing nervously in front of it.

Trixie and Honey smiled at the sight of the two handsome men waiting for them.  Their hearts pounded in anticipation.

The organist started the wedding processional and the pretty Lynch twins started down the aisle throwing rose petals joyfully in the air.  Bobby followed behind them, looking older than his fifteen years as he solemnly walked down the aisle.  Hallie and Dan were next, followed by Mart and Di, both couples walking arm in arm.  Mart and Diana were remembering their wedding of two years before and Hallie and Dan were toying with the idea of what ifs.  Dan hadn’t asked Hallie to marry him, yet, but the thought had crossed his mind.

And then, suddenly, the bridal march was playing and it was Trixie’s turn.  She looked up at her father.  “Ready?”

“To give you away?  Never.  But I can happily place you next to Jim and tell you how much I love you and how happy I know you are going to be.”

Trixie’s smile was breathtaking as she and her father walked down the aisle.  Jim stared at the vision in ivory silk coming toward him and knew he had never seen a more beautiful woman in his life, nor would he ever.  Peter Belden solemnly gave his beloved daughter's hand to Jim.  “I know you’ll take care of her.”

“On my honor, Sir.”  Jim turned to look at his bride, as Peter took his seat next Helen.  “You look so beautiful.”  Trixie smiled in return and then the bridal march gave way to Pachebel’s Canon and everyone turned to see Honey starting down the aisle on the arm of her handsome redheaded father.

Brian’s heart was in his throat as he stared at the woman he was going to marry.  What did he ever do to deserve such a wonderful woman?  When Mr. Wheeler placed Honey’s hand in his, Brian told him, “It’s an honor to have the chance to take care of your daughter, Sir.”

Mr. Wheeler smiled.  “Her mother and I could not be happier at her choice for a husband.”  At that he took his seat between Helen and his wife in the front row.

Diana and Hallie looked on as both couples repeated their vows to each other and a sense of life coming full circle began to envelope them.  Both girls looked across the altar at Mart and Dan, a sense of well being and peace filling them.  All was right with the world.

Trixie loved the look of the plain gold band next to the diamond solitaire Jim had given her.  When she looked over at Jim’s hand, at the thick gold band she had placed there herself, she felt an overwhelming sense of contentment.

Honey, upon hearing the words “You may kiss the bride,” realized that she was now Honey Belden and threw her arms around Brian for a soul-melting kiss.  Jim pulled Trixie in his arms and savored the feel of her sweet lips upon his.

The two couples were still kissing when the pastor said, “May I now present to you Mr. and Mrs. Jim Frayne and Mr. and Mrs. Brian Belden.”

Both couples looked toward their friends and family, who were applauding them, and smiled happily.

Honey and Brian started down the aisle under a shower of rose petals that the guests had been given to throw instead of rice.  Trixie and Jim, laughing happily, followed.  Trixie, feeling like a princess out of a fairy tale, knew at that moment that happily ever after could exist.

 

Divider
Last ChapterShadows Table of Contents
Home to Schoolgirl Shamus, Inc.Back to FanFicEmail Dana
Divider

Trixie Belden® is a registered trademark of Random House Books. These pages are not affiliated with Random House Books in any way. These pages are not for profit. Image courtesy of Ian Britton, FreeFoto.com.

Story copyright © GSDana